Four Weeks Before:
- Hold a moving sale or donate all unwanted items.
- Keep a list of items that you will need to replace.
- Check with your insurance company to find out if your goods are covered during transit.
- Start using foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- File a change of address at your local post office.
- Get a copy of the IRS publication relevant to moving from the library. It will be easier to fill out now than when tax season rolls around.
- Stock up on boxes and packing material.
- Start packing items that you will not be using.
Two Weeks Before:
- Arrange for local phone service.
- Transfer your bank accounts and establish an account in your new location before the move if possible.
- Transfer prescriptions and make sure you have an adequate supply of medications on hand.
- Return any borrowed items and retrieve any loaned items.
One Week Before:
- Start packing everything! As you pack begin to take inventory of your belongings.
- Confirm any travel reservations.
- Clean lawn mower and drain gas and oil from power equipment. Disconnect any spark plugs.
Two or Three Days Before:
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances for moving.
- Finish up packing. Pack a box of items that you will need immediately at your new home.
- Take down remaining curtains, blinds and shelves.
- Do a thorough cleaning, including emptying and cleaning trash cans.
- Call your Movers to Confirm their Arrival Time
- Leave a telephone number and forwarding address with a neighbor in case of emergency.
- Make sure all lights and remaining appliances are turned off.
- Take one last walk through the house and make sure everything has been packed.
For more tips and information from our packers and movers in Tampa Bay, we invite you to start following our informative Blog series. If you're ready to schedule your move in the Tampa Bay area, don't hesitate to call the premier local moving company, Less Stress Moving.
- First and foremost before hiring a mover do your do diligence.
- Have drinks and snacks for yourself.
- If you haven't used it or can't remember seeing it in a year, get ride of it.
- Pack all your boxes as tightly as possible, fill in the dead space with newspaper, pillows, cushions, lines etc.
- Label all your boxes with what room it came from and a brief description of what is in it.
- Use bubble wrap for all glass items, TV's and mirrors.
- Use garbage bags to cover all hanging clothes.
- Have a game plan and make sure your home is completely ready to be moved on the scheduled day.
- MAKE SURE TO MEASURE ALL DOORWAYS AND SPACES IN NEW HOME.
- Have fans in new home days of move to save on AC.
- Keep a eye on the weather. We have performed moves in the rain before and we will do it again.
- If moving to a storage it is a good idea to have a few units available. Storage units like rental trucks go by a very general rule of thumb.